- 8 fresh tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 white onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, peeled and seeded
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 3/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 leaves fresh mint
- salt to taste
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 12 (6 inch) white corn tortillas, cut into 3 strips
- 3/4 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Blend tomatillos, onion, poblano pepper, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, garlic, mint, and salt in a blender until smooth. Transfer mixture to a saucepan and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add chicken to tomatillo sauce and continue to simmer until chicken is heated through, about 5 minutes more.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry tortilla strips in batches until crisp and lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Layer about half the fried tortillas in a 2-quart baking dish; spread half the tomatillo sauce over tortillas. Mix pepperjack cheese and Monterey Jack cheese in a bowl; sprinkle half over tomatillo sauce. Repeat layers.
- Bake in preheated oven until cheese is golden and bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes. Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
Subscribe to our newsletter and get amazing tips and recipes
Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
If the confirmation email is not there, please check other folders, including Spam/Junk – unfortunately, even the emails you are expecting to receive sometimes are sorted in there by mistake.