- Shortening – 1/3 cup
- Packed brown sugar – 1 cup
- Dark molasses – 1 1/2 cups
- Cold water – 2/3 cup
- All-purpose flour – 7 cups
- Baking soda – 2 tsp.
- Salt – 1 tsp.
- Ground allspice – 1 tsp.
- Ground ginger – 2 tsp.
- Crushed cloves – 1 tsp.
- Ground cinnamon – 1 tsp.
- 2 egg yolks
- Food coloring (red, white and green or others) – 10 drops
- Water – 1/2 tsp.
- Mix well shortening, brown sugar, and molasses. Stir in 2/3 cup water. Mix sifted flour, soda, salt, and spices; stir into molasses mixture. Refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F/175° C/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease the baking sheet.
- Take the dough out from the refrigerator and allow it to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes, until pliable. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough about 1/4 inch thick. Cut with boy and girl cookie cutters. Using a spatula, carefully transfer to the baking sheet.
- Make egg yolk paint: beat egg yolks with 1/2 teaspoon water. Divide the yolk among a few small bowls, and add food coloring to each cup for desired color (standard ones – red, green and white). Paint the clothes and decorations on cookies as desired. With a toothpick, make a hole in the top of each cookie.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool slightly, then carefully remove from baking sheet.
Subscribe to our newsletter and get amazing tips and recipes
Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
If the confirmation email is not there, please check other folders, including Spam/Junk – unfortunately, even the emails you are expecting to receive sometimes are sorted in there by mistake.