- 6 chicken thighs
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 quart cold water, to cover
- 2 cups cold buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon chicken seasoning mix (see note)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chicken seasoning mix (see note)
- 2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
- Place chicken thighs and drumsticks in a large bowl, cover with cold water, and mix in salt. Cover and refrigerate from 8 hours to overnight.
- Rinse chicken thoroughly. Mix buttermilk, beaten egg, and 1 teaspoon chicken seasoning in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Place chicken pieces into buttermilk mixture and refrigerate 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Place flour and 2 tablespoons chicken seasoning into a shallow bowl and mix until combined. Remove chicken from buttermilk bath, shake off excess buttermilk, and press into flour. Tap off excess flour.
- Gently place chicken into hot oil, 3 or 4 pieces at a time; fry chicken until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes per batch.
- Remove chicken pieces to a cooling rack set over paper towels to remove excess oil before serving.
Subscribe to our newsletter and get amazing tips and recipes
Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
If the confirmation email is not there, please check other folders, including Spam/Junk – unfortunately, even the emails you are expecting to receive sometimes are sorted in there by mistake.