- 1 (5 pound) bone-in beef pot roast
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into chunks
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Generously season both sides of roast with salt and pepper. Sprinkle flour over the top until well coated, and pat it into the meat. Shake off any excess.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Sear the roast on both sides for 5-6 minutes each, until well browned. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in mushrooms and butter; cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in onion; cook for 5 minutes, until onions are translucent and begin to brown. Add garlic, stir for about a minute.
- Stir in 1 1/2 tablespoons flour; cook and stir for about 1 minute. Add tomato paste, and cook for another minute.
- Slowly add chicken stock, stir to combine, and return to a simmer. Remove skillet from the heat.
- Place carrots and celery in the slow cooker. Place roast over the vegetables and pour in any accumulated juices. Add rosemary and thyme.
- Pour onion and mushroom mixture over the top of the roast. Cover slow cooker, turn to high and cook the roast for 5-6 hours, until the meat is fork tender.
- Skim off any fat from the surface and remove the bones. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Subscribe to our newsletter and get amazing tips and recipes
Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
If the confirmation email is not there, please check other folders, including Spam/Junk – unfortunately, even the emails you are expecting to receive sometimes are sorted in there by mistake.
Other Slow cooker recipes