Rogan josh (Spicy Slow Cooker Lamb Curry)
- Lamb shoulder – 1 kg (2 lbs), cut into big cubes
- Natural yoghurt – 4 tbsp
- Red onions – 4 medium, cut in half
- Red bell peppers – 2, cut in half, seeds removed
- Fresh red chili – 4, seeds removed
- Cilantro – ½ bunch, leaves picked
- Canned tomatoes – 400 g (1 lb)
- Fresh tomatoes – 2, ripe
- Fresh ginger – 1 piece (thumb-sized), peeled and grated
- Garlic - 8 cloves, chopped
- Turmeric - 1 tsp
- Black peppercorns – 1 tsp, crushed
- Green cardamom – 4 pods
- Clove - 4, whole
- Cinnamon – 1 stick
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Dried red chili – 4, small
- Paprika – 2 tsp
- Groundnut oil
- Sea salt
- Coconut shavings
- Fresh mint - ½ bunch
- Mix the garlic and ginger together in a big bowl that will fit all the lamb. Mix in yoghurt, black pepper and turmeric. Put the cubed lamb into the bowl and stir it well until every piece is coated with spices and yoghurt. Cover the bowl and put it in the fridge for the lamb to marinate overnight
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF/170ºC/gas 3. Large chop the onions and peppers; finely chop them in a food processor with 3 chilies and the cilantro stalks. Slice the remaining chili very finely; set aside.
- Wrap the cardamom pods in a paper towel and whack them with the side of a knife or a rolling pin to get the seeds out. Place a heavy-based pan over medium heat; put the cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, cumin and coriander seeds into the pan and toast until the spices get a slightly darker shade. Put them into a pestle and mortar, add dried red chilies and grind together (you can use a spice grinder, too).
- Leave the pan on the heat. Add a little groundnut oil, the processed onion-pepper-and-chili paste, the ground spices and paprika. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes.
- Large chop the tomatoes; put them and the tinned tomatoes into the slow cooker; add all the ingredients from the pan, too. Put the marinated lamb into the slow cooker, pour a tin’s worth of water over it. Stir well. Add a pinch of salt. Cover the slow cooker and set it to MEDIUM for 2 to 4 hours.
- Taste the curry to adjust the salt. If it is too hot, add some yoghurt. Garnish with chili, coconut shavings, mint and cilantro leaves. Serve with rice, fresh Indian bread and cold beer.
- Indian cuisine is unique – intricate hot spices combined with the creaminess of dairy products give it a very recognizable flavor you can never get tired of.
Subscribe to our newsletter and get amazing tips and recipes
Please check your inbox to confirm your subscription.
If the confirmation email is not there, please check other folders, including Spam/Junk – unfortunately, even the emails you are expecting to receive sometimes are sorted in there by mistake.
Other Slow cooker recipes